Monday 17 October 2011

Rainy Pier and Hot Soup

Hello ^ - ^ Today the weather has been the craziest since I arrived at uni. It was windy, rainy and cold. So my boyfriend and I decided to go down to the pier to look at the sea :P

I wrapped up warm in a thick coat, wooly scarf and mittens and set off to the pier with him. It was completely deserted, not too shocking considering the weather XD We had fun leaning over the railings and watching the choppy waves beneath us :) Surprisingly despite the weather, when we looked further along the coast the cliffs and bays still looked beautiful. In the distance a tiny bit of light illuminated the cliffs slightly, and the slight grey rays looked amazing. And yet again I forgot my camera > . < I'm going to start putting it in my bag before I go out!

Unfortunately the tea shop at the end of the pier was closed, I really wanted to go and get a scone and tea to warm myself up XD It was still great fun, although my flatmates thought I was mad when I came back home completely drenched :P

So after my very very very cold outing I thought I'd try something adventourous (for me at least XD) I decided to make my own soup. I'm not a very good cook, so I decided to make a simple leek and potato soup, and eat it with some brown bread. It only took an hour (including preparing the vegetables and the simmering and things), and I have some stored in the fridge, enough for two more portions :)

Here's how I made it:
1 leek
1 medium potato
1 medium onion
50g butter
1 pint of vegetable stock
I chopped the leek and onion into thin slices and the potato into about 8 chunks and washed them. Then I melted the butter in a saucepan, added the vegetables and a little salt and pepper, and left covered over a low heat for 15 minutes, (during which time I wandered off and tidied my room a little :P). When I came back the vegetables were a bit softer, I added the stock and raised the heat a little bit so the soup was simmering slightly. I covered it again and left it for 20 minutes. Then I came back, put some in a bowl, the rest in tupperware and ate my soup ^ - ^

It was perfect for a windy autumn day :) Very cosy ^ - ^

Sunny xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment